ORLANDO, FL – The Florida Division of Well being in Orange County has issued a Well being Alert for the presence of dangerous blue-green algal toxins in Lake Ola – NE Shore. That is in response to a water pattern taken by the Florida Division of Environmental Safety on 01/12/2023. The general public ought to train warning in and round Lake Ola – NE Shore.
Residents and guests are suggested to take the next precautions:
- Don’t drink, swim, wade, use private watercraft, water ski or boat in waters the place there’s a seen bloom.
- Wash your pores and skin and clothes with cleaning soap and water when you have contact with algae or discolored or smelly water.
- Preserve pets away from the realm. Waters the place there are algae blooms will not be protected for animals. Pets and livestock ought to have a unique supply of water when algae blooms are current.
- Don’t cook dinner or clear dishes with water contaminated by algae blooms. Boiling the water won’t eradicate the toxins.
- Consuming fillets from wholesome fish caught in freshwater lakes experiencing blooms is protected. Rinse fish fillets with faucet or bottled water, throw out the center and cook dinner fish effectively.
- Don’t eat shellfish in waters with algae blooms.
What’s blue-green algae?
Blue-green algae are a sort of micro organism that’s widespread in Florida’s freshwater environments. A bloom happens when speedy development of algae results in an accumulation of particular person cells that discolor water and infrequently produce floating mats that emit disagreeable odors. Some environmental components that contribute to blue-green algae blooms are sunny days, heat water temperatures, nonetheless water situations and extra vitamins. Blooms can seem year-round however are extra frequent in summer time and fall. Many varieties of blue-green algae can produce toxins.
Is it dangerous?
Blue-green algae blooms can influence human well being and ecosystems, together with fish and different aquatic animals. For added data on potential well being results of algal blooms, go to floridahealth.gov/environmental-health/aquatic-toxins.
Discover present data about Florida’s water high quality standing and public well being notifications for dangerous algal blooms and seashore situations by visiting ProtectingFloridaTogether.gov. Defending Florida Collectively is the state’s joint effort to offer statewide water high quality data to prioritize environmental transparency and dedication to motion.
What do I do if I see an algal bloom?
The Florida Division of Environmental Safety (FDEP) collects and analyzes algal bloom samples. To report a bloom to FDEP, name the toll-free hotline at 855-305-3903 or report on-line.
To report fish kills, contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Analysis Institute at 1-800-636-0511.
report signs from publicity to a dangerous algal bloom or any aquatic toxin to the Florida Poison Info Middle, name 1-800-222-1222 to talk to a poison specialist instantly.
Contact your veterinarian when you consider your pet has turn into unwell after consuming or having contact with blue-green algae contaminated water.
When you’ve got different well being questions or issues about blue-green algae blooms, please name the Florida Division of Well being in Orange County Name Middle at 407-723-5004.
In regards to the Florida Division of Well being
The division, nationally accredited by the Public Well being Accreditation Board, works to guard, promote and enhance the well being of all individuals in Florida by way of built-in state, county and group efforts. Observe us on Fb, Instagram and Twitter at @HealthyFla. For extra details about the Florida Division of Well being please go to www.FloridaHealth.gov.