And we’re again! Dan DeFrancesco in NYC.
On faucet we have got tales about some brutal year-end bonuses at Goldman Sachs, why one fintech remains to be on the hunt for tech expertise, and a military of geese that assist maintain you drunk.
However first, a king considers unconquered lands.
If this was forwarded to you, join right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. Ken Griffin’s subsequent transfer.
It is good to be Ken Griffin.
Loads of individuals discover success on Wall Road that almost all can solely dream of. However Ken Griffin appears to be successful in ways in which even his friends de él ca n’t fathom.
2022 was one other banner 12 months for each Griffin’s hedge fund (Citadel posted $28 billion in income and a 38.1% return on its fundamental fund) and buying and selling agency Citadel Securities nabbed $7.5 billion in income, per The Wall Road Journal).
So the place do you go once you’ve already reached the highest? Insider’s Dakin Campbell profiled Griffin, together with his elevated push into politics by way of eye-popping donations to conservative candidates. The story, which features a dialog with Griffin himself, is a captivating take a look at how one will get to, and stays at, the highest of some of the aggressive industries on the earth.
With all due respect to Jamie Dimon, Larry Fink, and Stephen Schwarzman, I feel it is truthful to say Griffin is essentially the most highly effective particular person on Wall Road. I understand that is an ambiguous time period, however Griffin’s empire spans two completely different worlds—hedge funds and buying and selling—that makes him ubiquitous in methods others might solely dream of.
Click on right here to learn extra about Ken Griffin rise to the highest of Wall Road and what could possibly be subsequent for the billionaire.
In different information:
2. Are you hiring? On this setting! It isn’t all dangerous information on Wall Road. Alt funding market iCapital is trying so as to add 100 new technologists to its employees this 12 months. This is what the fintech, which is backed by a bevy of prime Wall Road companies, is in search of.
3. The rise and fall of Charlie Javice. For years traders and the media lauded Javice’s accomplishments, culminating in a take care of JPMorgan for her startup. Now the 2 sides are at odds. The within story on how we bought right here.
4. Jamie Dimon did not get a elevate in 2022. His whole comp stays at $34.5 million. And also you thought your year-end bonus was dangerous! Think about how the JPMorgan CEO feels. Hope he manages OK.
5. In the meantime at Goldman… Some junior bankers noticed their year-end bonuses slashed by as a lot as 90%, the New York Publish stories. A lot for that summer season share in Montauk. Extra dangerous information right here.
6. Mark Cuban backs one other healthcare startup. Truepill is a web-based pharmacy that helps different healthcare startups ship drugs by way of the mail. This is why the Cubes retains betting on healthcare.
7. Would anybody like to present Robert Smith some cash? The billionaire dealmaker stays on the hunt to fill out a $20 billion tech-focused fund for his agency, Vista Fairness Companions. However the fundraising course of hasn’t been a breeze, Bloomberg stories. Extra on why it has been a problem.
8. The case for the five-day work week. As a lot because it pains me to take action, within the spirit of being truthful and balanced, I current to you the case for why a four-day work week is a nasty thought. You possibly can click on right here, I suppose.
9. That shiraz you are consuming could possibly be courtesy of a military of geese. A South African winemaker depends on greater than 1,000 Indian runner geese to patrol its fields from pests. Take a look at the video.
10. What if Dry January by no means ended? In case you’ve nearly made all of it the best way and are contemplating quitting booze for good, we have got some ideas. This is some recommendation from a former reasonable drinker who has been sober for six years.
Curated by Dan DeFrancesco in New York. Suggestions or ideas? Electronic mail firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet @dandefrancesco, or join on LinkedIn. Edited by Jeffrey Cane (tweet @jeffrey_cane) in New York and Hallam Bullock (tweet @hallam_bullock) in London.